A case study includes an event or an issue that presents a certain problem. The learners are then asked to detect the problem or dilemma, identify where the problem began, provide details, explain the problem and find solutions. The case study method encourages learners to think critically and creatively and they are prepared for real life situations that can happen anywhere at any time, especially in the workplace. The instructor should be well prepared for the case study classes in order to create dynamic classroom activities that would stimulate thought and creativity and, at the same time, increase the learners’ English language competence. Case studies help teachers teach a foreign language effectively through a combination of knowledge, experience, creativity and critical thinking. There are many case study samples and information about case study analysis online: business case studies, discussions for classroom activities, ESL conversation topics, case study method, etc. To learn more about case studies, click HERE...
How to Deliver a Great Eulogy
This simple, easy-to-use, step-by-step guide will help you easily write and deliver a great eulogy - to honour a special person's memory. If you have no time to lose, or are really stuck, create a personal, meaningful eulogy in just 30 minutes using the print-off-and-fill-in-the blanks templates, designed specifically for this purpose. LEARN HOW TO DELIVER A GREAT EULOGY!
Download a variety of topics, useful ESL teaching resources (can be used as materials for discussion), such as a Canadian family's four year expedition around the world in a sailboat; professionally written speeches for the bride and groom, the bestman, maid of honour, or father and mother of the bride; how to take professional photos without having to learn the technical jargon; how you can speak French in 100 days, and more...To download, click HERE...
Do your students want to speak English with an American accent? Within a couple of weeks, your students can see changes in the way they speak English. Selected the 8 most essential lessons from the outstanding American Accent Workshop training course will give your students a quick start to speaking English like Americans. Each high-quality audio lesson is taught by a professional accent reduction coach and comes with class handouts and a journal page for keeping track of the student's progress. This course is perfect for college students, business people, medical personnel, scientists, educators, public servants, engineers, technicians, and for anyone who wants to speak and/or understand the American accent. To learn more, click HERE...
Classroom Activities The best learning happens in real life with real problems and real people and not in classrooms. - Charles Handy
Case Study Method
Case studies can be a useful tool in classroom teaching. They can focus on issues of special interest and can be an ideal complement to a textbook. The act of teaching case studies requires competence in two areas, the method of teaching and the content you are teaching. Case Study Examples
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. - W. B. Yeats Competence in selecting the content of case studies is as important as the teaching methods we use to present this content. In ESL classrooms usually discussions are conducted in smaller groups and then a representative of each group speaks in front of the class. The following simple case studies have been successfully used in teaching English as a Second / Foreign Language to adults (company staff). 1. Grocery Store Your family has had a grocery store for more than 50 years. Recently, a supermarket has opened 100 meters down the road. - What are you going to do?
2. A Fly in the Soup You are the owner of a small restaurant. A customer complained to you that he had found a fly in his soup. - What will you do/say? Discuss with your friends.
3. E-Mail You do not like your boss but you like the job very much. One day you typed a message on your computer to an understanding colleague (your best friend) complaining about your boss, using the words “stupid, lacking of feelings” and “cruel”. You e-mailed this message to your friend. But a few seconds later you realized that you made a mistake. Instead of directing the message to your friend, you had sent it to your boss! - What is your next step? Discuss with your friends.
4. Marketing a Product [In groups of three or five] Today you are Marketing Executives. Invent a product or service and market it and then present your idea to the class. You have to design an advertisement for television commercial or magazine. Please divide your presentation into three parts: 1. Describe the product or service. 2. Describe the advertising method used. 3. Explain, why you chose certain things in your advertisement, i.e. beautiful landscape, people, etc.
5. Domestic Violence You had a long conversation with a friend and coworker, a part-time employee who revealed to you that she is a victim of domestic violence. The woman’s husband has been abusing her since their first child was born. He is careful to injure her only in ways that do not leave visible signs, and she feels sure no one would ever believe her word against his. The family’s assets, even “her” car, are all in his name, and her part-time salary would not be enough for herself and the children to live on. Further, he has threatened to kill her if she ever leaves him or reveals the truth. After talking with you, the woman asks you to keep this conversation confidential. - What would you say / do? Discuss with your friends.
6. Conflict at Work You are Human Resource Manager, a married person with two children. You had a conflict in the workplace. One of your employees said this morning that he knows where your kids go to school. When he spoke, his eyes looked terrible and his voice was angry. - What will you do and say? Discuss with your friend.
7. A Strange Case You are Manager of a company. Several employees came to your office and reported an unusual situation which had occurred the previous day. An agency employee from a different building had been in and out of their office over a seven-hour period, remarking to several people that “the Government” had kept her prisoner, inserted microphones in her head to hear what she was thinking, and tampered with her computer to feed her evil thoughts. She also said that her doctors diagnosed her as paranoid schizophrenic, but that they are wrong about her. She made inflammatory remarks about coworkers, and made threatening statements such as, “Anybody in my old job who got in my way came down with mysterious illnesses”. - What will you do and say? Discuss in groups of five and give a presentation in front of the whole class.
8. In the Office Your spouse and you have been married for 10 years and for the last 6 months s/he has been having a secret affair with a woman/man in his/her office. You recently discovered this. S/he said how s/he was sorry and said s/he would stop seeing the person and that s/he would never love anyone else again. But s/he refuses to look for a new job. - What will you do? What will you tell her/him?
9. Car Accident Your spouse suffered a serious car accident a few years ago, and since then has been confined to a wheelchair. You had to give up your job to look after him/her and more recently s/he has become so demanding that you have to spend all your time with him/her. - What will you do? Discuss with your friends.
Learn how to prepare a good speech and become an effective presenter. 'Step Up and Speak!' is a powerful interactive e-course that combines the art and science of delivering the winning speech and presentation. You will not suffer anymore through the anxiety of preparing and delivering your presentations again. In fact, you will get excited about the prospect of becoming an excellent public speaker. To learn more, click HERE...
A non-native English speaker Robby Kukurs has worked out fluency and confidence maintenance system based on his own experience. The goal of his e-book English Harmony is to help non-native English speakers change their whole outlook on life and the way they perceive things when they speak English. LEARN MORE ABOUT ENGLISH HARMONY SYSTEM
Explore the Galaxy
Get a real-time, three-dimensional view of our Solar System, the Galaxy and the Universe. An excellent software is available via Instant Download, so your students can be soaring through Outer Space in a few minutes time. To discover more, click HERE...
Teach English Through Songs
Students can learn English fast with specially written songs for English grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. The result is accelerated learning: English teachers get students motivated with enthusiasm for learning, create a relaxed, friendly atmosphere in the classroom, make English learning fun, and teach natural pronunciation efficiently. To get free samples, click HERE...
RELIABLE ENGLISH TEACHING, LEARNING AND RESEARCH RESOURCES
This website is free. No registration or login is required. Your assistance is needed. Please donate to improve this website. ESL DRIVE BLOG
Materials on this website are published for research and educational purposes and information is presented as accurately as possible. ESL DRIVE is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Disclaimer.