WhiteSmoke’s online grammar checker is the best grammar checker software available for identifying and fixing grammar mistakes in academic documents, business letters, etc. The grammar checker software spots errors that most human readers would not catch. To learn more, click HERE...
Real speed reading is a method where you re-train your brain to break the old habits you were taught in third grade. Those reading methods were fine when you first learned to read and you needed to know the mechanics of reading. But now, those same methods only slow your reading down. You must learn a new way to visually take in words without that little voice in your head slowing you down. There is a deep satisfaction in being able to speed read and understand what you read. An automatic way of reading that becomes second nature and is much faster... To learn more, click HERE...
Explore the Galaxy from your PC
Get a real-time, three-dimensional view of our Solar System, the Galaxy and the Universe. An excellent software is available via Instant Download, so your students can be soaring through Outer Space in a few minutes time. To discover more, click HERE...
Computer for ESL Computing is not about computers any more. It is about living. - Nicholas Negroponte How to Use a Computer for English Teaching Purposes
ESL teachers are usually excited by the idea of using computers with their students. Unfortunately, when the concrete job needs to be done many teachers gradually become less excited. Those teachers who devote some time to gain the knowledge how to use computers for ESL teaching purposes find computers rather helpful. Those teachers who do not – they change their viewpoint about the application of computers for language teaching purposes from positive to negative.
Computers should be available both in the classroom and in the self-access centre so that students could concentrate on projects, focus on different tasks. Computer activities in the self-access centre should become an extension of the classroom activities.
The computer can be a wonderful teaching tool if it is used efficiently. Computers can provide distinctive advantages over more traditional approaches of ESL teaching. They can effectively develop such language skills as listening, speaking, reading and writing, as well as language sub-skills - academic study, research and critical thinking skills.
1. Listening skills are developed by making use of multimedia and Internet programs. Apart from sound, visual participation provides students with contextual and paralinguistic features.
2. Speaking (pronunciation, intonation, rhythm and fluency) skills are developed by using multimedia programs with pronunciation functions, by using Skype and similar online tools. Also - through email and chat rooms.
3. Reading skills are developed by searching information, selecting information for research purposes and focusing on solving specific problems. Valuable software and special-purpose websites are available.
4. Writing and grammar skills are developed by formulating research topics, writing research projects, focusing attention on various tasks, performing grammar exercises and by corresponding with other students from all over the world. Such tools as spell-checker, online dictionaries and special language learning software can also improve writing skills. There is a great deal of high-quality software available.
5. Paralinguistic skills are developed by exposing students to various cultural issues such as manners, etiquette, body language, customs and traditions. Useful software is available online.
Computer is a useful ESL learning tool for ESL students. With the help of the modern software which is available online, teachers can improve language needs of individual students. They can also conduct assessment by using testing software.
Tell your friends Recommend ESL Teacher Reference Deskto your friends, colleagues, English teachers, linguists and ESL students:
Robot Reader gives children the core skills they need to be confident and successful readers. You can create professional reading games with the click of a button! The kids will love them! The Rainbow Reading Games e-Books are Adobe PDF files. To see them, you will need to have the FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. To learn more, click HERE!
Reliable English Teaching and Research Resources: Textbooks, Software, Dictionaries, and more...
This website is free. No registration or login is required. Your assistance is needed. Please donate to improve this website. To donate, click here.
Materials on this website are published for research and educational purposes and information is presented as accurately as possible. ESL DRIVE is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites. Disclaimer.